Re: (RADIUS) Experiences with Merit AAA Radius

Chris Parker (cparker@starnetusa.net)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:10:04 -0600

At 09:26 AM 4/1/98 -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:
>For ISPs running Merit's AAA Radius, what has been your experience,
>including preventing multiple simultaneous logins?

We don't use the simultaneous login control. If you need that, the only
server that reliably does this is Cistron Radius. This has been hashed
and rehashed repeatedly, so check the Archives for the discussion.
The claim that the next version of Livingston's Radius will do
simultaneous login control is incorrect. The next ( free ) version of
Livingston's Radius will not do this, nor are there plans to have future
version do so. This will be a feature of the integrated billing/account
manager Radius ( not free! ) called Radius ABM, which is supposed to be
out Q1 of this year, though I would expect it to be bit later than that.

I've used both the Basic and Enhanced versions of Merit's AAA Server.
Once you get past the, IMHO, patheticly incomplete documentation and
figure out how to configure it to do what you want, it works quite
well. It will handle a multiple vendor environment quite nicely, which
can be a plus if you have to do that.

It is quite a different beast than the Livingston server. If you are
looking at it for it's proxy capabilities, those will be forthcoming
in the next Livingston Radius Server 2.1, if you can wait that long.
The ease of configuration of the Livingston server blows the Merit
server out of the water. Unless you buy the Enhanced AAA Merit server
you are also pretty much on your own when it comes to support. They
are pretty good about supporting the Enhanced version, so it may be
worth the money if that is what you need. You still have to have a
good understanding of the server, and the overall Radius protocol
though.

It does have several other features not yet implemented in the
Livingston Radius server. Right now they are two different animals,
so a direct comparison isn't quite possible. ( Which I have done
anyway despite my last statement... :P )

If you want more information on the Merit servers, you can visit their
web site at:

http://www.merit.edu/aaa

>Larry Vaden

-Chris

--
   \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker: Systems Administration and Development
   \ ~   ~ /   \   cparker@starnetusa.net   \   cparker@megapop.net
   | @   @ |    \    www.starnetusa.net      \    www.megapop.net
                  \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'