Re: (RADIUS) Anyone using Cistron Radius? Specifically:

Jordyn A. Buchanan (jordyn@bestweb.net)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:14:30 -0400

At 4:21 PM -0500 4/21/98, Thomas Tsai wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, MegaZone wrote:
>> >perl script. I customized mine and don't use SNMP to check ports.
>> But SNMP is the important bit! Without SNMP Cistron has all the same
>> inherent problems as the other hacks! Relyign on RADIUS alone is NOT
>> a good idea, SNMP is there to fill in the holes in RADIUS and MUST be
>> used to have a complete solution.
>> That's why I keep recommending Cistron - they're the only ones who do it
>> right!
>
>What about modifying Cistron to use Telnet|sho ses (ala pmwho) instead?
>The performance difference between that and SNMP cannot be too great. The
>reason I am asking is because we have a combination of PM's and Total
>Controls, and the TC doesn't support Livingston-style SNMP. So would have
>to hack it to pmwho-poll it (works since it uses ComOS).
>
>Has anyone done this yet, successfully? (combination of PMs and TCs)

I'm about to do this exactly. I don't anticipate any problem because
Cistron RADIUS uses a perl script to do the actual verification that there
are indeed multiple logins. The setup is a little complicated, but you can
use different verification methods for different types of NAS (SNMP for
Portmasters, telnet for TC units).

I like Cistron RADIUS a lot; maybe just because so many of its features
were easily hackable into the way I really want RADIUS to work in our
environment.

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation http://www.bestweb.net |
|Director of Technology +1.914.271.4500 |

'unsubscribe portmaster-radius' in the body of the message.