Re: (PMOD) HSP/HSF/HCF/etc.

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:14:59 -1000 (HST)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Craig Baird wrote:

> I keep seeing messages form people asking about modems using these
> various chipsets. The only one that I've ever actually seen in real
> life is the Rockwell HCF (although it seems I vaguely recall seeing an
> HSP once, but I can't be sure). Do these other chipsets (HSP, HSF)
> actually exist? The reason I ask is that someone recently posted asking
> something about firmware for an HSP modem. Someone else responded back
> suggesting the Zoltrix firmware, as if it were an HCF. So, do these
> modems exist, or do these people really mean HCF?

My bad for causing confusion.

HCF is a rockwell chipset, I haven't researched to see what it actually
stands for.
HSP is Host Signal Processing. It's the industry trend to off-load
processing from the modem itself and have the CPU of the computer handle
the workload. I think any modem that uses .vxd and doesn't require a
firmware update is in this category. (I could be wrong and Ed S. can
correct me ;)
HSP modems would be like Rockwell HCF, PCTel, Lucent LT winmodems.

So HCF is an HSP, but HSP is not necessarily an HCF.

Zoltrix does have modems that use HCF, they also have a bunch of other HSP
modems.

When I refer to using the Zoltrix .156 driver, it's for Rockwell HCF
(PCI-based) modems. I'm not sure if there is a Rockwell HCF ISA-based
modem.

8) It's amazing what a lil research will pull up.

Okay, I broke down.... this is what HCF stands for...

http://www.conexant.com/products/modems/v90/v90/default.asp
Conexant's HCF (Host Controlled Family) products

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>