Re: (PMOD) HSP MicroModem 56

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:39:49 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Tim Patton wrote:

> > http://www.multiwave.com
>
> I've gone to most of their sites, and from the information that I ahve
> been given it has not been possible to make an educated decision
> on who actually created this modem. I don't have the modem in
> the shop, as like many of you, this is an effort of going customer
> by customer, over the phone, attempting to figure out what modem
> they have, and where to find these upgrades.

8) well that makes life nigh impossible.

> > The best bet to find the manufacturer of the modem though is to take the
> > FCC id it's on a lil tag on the modem and put it through the FCC finder
> > one of which is at:
> > http://www.808hi.com/56k/whomadeit.htm
>
> Again, the customer is not a technician, and just learned how to
> turn the computer on, little-lone pop the case off, and give me the
> FCC written on the side of the modem, so unfortunatly, that's not
> an option...unless it's recorded somewhere from within his win98....

It's always an option. the ATI info seldom will give you the actual
manufacturer. Which is why you _need_ to get the FCC id and use the
search. Otherwise, you are probably wasting time doing a difficult
search.

> > quite a few drivers ... and joy of joys they are CPU specific ... you can
> > try those and see...
>
> But if you look at the ATI 3 command that I gave the list from this
> modem, look at the version of the driver
>
> ati3
> PCtel 7.63-9CMS

If PCTel is following a convention then the CMS will be the particular CPU
code it needs.

> > In all, I'd experiment with one or two of the 7.64 drivers that you can
> > find off of the companies linked off of the www.pctel.com website. But
> > only after trying to find the original manufacturer.
>
> This is the original reason why I posted this modem, to see if
> anyone knew who made the thing...if I can find out who made it, I'm
> sure finding the drivers will be easy. So once again here are the
> modem ATI commands...this is all I have to go by, and as I said,
> I'm 99% sure it's NOT a zoltrix....

Nope, having the original manufacturer will NOT necessarily make finding
working drivers any easier. Take a glance at the CTX site... they have a
7.61 version which is surely out-dated compared to the 7.64 that other
manufacturers have.

> If I still can't get it to connect at 56k, then I would of course switch
> it to the analog lines, but I'd much rather at least try a new driver,
> from the manufactorer (not a generic driver) before doing that...

Hmm, if you want to resolve this I have to recommend, getting the FCC id
off of the tag on the modem, finding the manufacturer and seeing if they
have a 7.64 revision driver. Irregardless of whether the user can or
cannot do this, you may have to either have them bring in the computer or
take a visit to them.

If you can't find a 7.64 driver from the manufacturer then try another
manufacturers driver and see how those work. Works for most Rockwell HCF
;)

One thing that I wonder, have you looked for the init strings that would
limit the connect speed? Set a ceiling and see if that'll connect.

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>