Re: (RADIUS) RADIUS and USR Total Control Netserver

Robert Hiltibidal (morgan@springpatch.com)
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 03:58:42 -0500

We're having similar probles with a 3com/usr box. So far 3coms techs are
telling us its the radius version we're using. Which is Livingston's 2.0.1
running on Linux 2.0 33

The previous usr boxes we bought before 3com took over USR are working like
a champ. This new box doesn't run a licensed version of comos. It runs
something different. If 3com thinks we're going to sit here with a 10,000$
box that doesn't work we'll send the damn thing back and probally sue as
well. The question in my mind is why take a perfectly good product and
screw it up? Then release the damn thing?

I think we're both looking at a product recall here.

Most of our pop sites are running Livingston pm2' and 2er's. Most of our
market is x2 and not k56flex so we went with the usr. The first 4 boxes we
bought we really haven't had a problem with them (One had a provisioning
problem that was almost miniscule and difficult to catch) These boxes are
running an os sinmilar to Livingstons comos. In any event I simply will not
buy its our version of Radius causing the porblems. Especially since over
8000 customers are using it and not having a problem. This is a strong
indicator the product is not up to snuff.

We're not changing our authentication system.

One pattern that is different... Users that are using scripts get logged
in, users using pap and chap do not. 3com/usr hasn't a clue as to why.

If you come across a solution I will be happy to hear it. However it sounds
like you have similar problems with a different version of radius.

-Rob