Re: (RADIUS) RadiusReport V0.3

Chris Parker (cparker@starnetusa.net)
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:12:12 -0500

At 04:01 PM 4/8/98 +0300, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>Hi
>
>I use radiusreport v0.3 witch i got form
>
>http://www.tibus.net/pgregg/projects/radiusreport/
>
>On 5mb detail file and 166 cpu (linux) its take 2min to retrive the log
>file
>
>why its so slow ?

A 5 mb text file is pretty dang big. Expect it to take some time.
2 minutes ain't bad. For us, we have ~300mb per month to go through.
That takes a bit longer than 2 minutes. :P

>does any body know of a log program that can ritrive the usage
>information for the users but much faster ?

There isn't anything I am aware of. I tried writing a lex/yacc based
parser hoping it would be faster than the perl-based programs out there.
It was, but not by enough to make it worth the effort. Basically, if you
have a need for speed, your only option is to change the way the records
are recorded. I'm now working on having everything logged to a SQL
database instead of the flat file detail files.

I believe Lucent RABU's forthcoming Radius ABM uses a database backend
to log the call detail records, so it can generate reports *much* faster.
But of course that isn't going to be free.

-Chris

--
   \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker: Systems Administration and Development
   \ ~   ~ /   \   cparker@starnetusa.net   \   cparker@megapop.net
   | @   @ |    \    www.starnetusa.net      \    www.megapop.net
                  \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'