(PMOD) Re: (PM) No PPP

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 02:19:36 -1000 (HST)

This might be better on the modem list ... though it's a kind of
generalized problem.

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Larry wrote:

> Need some help
> we got a customer that cant hook up at all
> there using a 3Com 56k modem that worked ok two days ago
> they get as far as logging on but never ask for PPP connection
> this happens on our PM3's and our analog pool
> they can telnet net to our pm3' ok.
> we have tried everything I can think of to fix this.
> there using win95 we've replaced DUN replaced TCP/IP
> formatted and reinstalled windows even swapped modems
> with one from a working system nothing they can logon with a
> different machine on the same lines just fine.
> strange thing is this will hook ok to the competition
> and there using PM3's just like us.

This sounds like one of the easiest fixes to do...

The DUN connection to your site doesn't work, but a 'new' DUN connection
to a competitors site works.

Strange as it may be, have you watched the user attempting to log in?
I'll bet dollars to donuts that you'll see garbage. This is the
connectoid getting fubar'd for whatever reason. It loses something and
will then pass along garbage to the connection. I've seen this happen
when upgrading a win95 orig to DUN 1.2+. You need to remake the
connectoid as the 'links' to the stack get mucked.

Solution, delete DUN connectiod to your site, don't bother fixing it...
remake connectoid, dial up test and close case (well works about 9 out of
10 times here ;)

I use the saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke" but in M$'s case
sometimes you gotta break something to fix it ;)

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>